This week Ben and I talk with Basho developer Sean Cribbs about NoSQL and how they write software.
- Amazon’s Dynamo Paper
- Riak is really good for cloud storage
- LAMP pretty much scales horizontally vs Microsoft’s big iron approach
- Voxer is probably the biggest deployment of Riak
- How do you work effectively remotely?
- Chatrooms:Hipchat, Campfire and Hubot
- Agile Zen for ensuring you have a pull based workflow
- Differences in culture re: work hours between west and east coast
- Distributed version control workflow
- Sean’s Coder Wall
- Common pitfalls when moving from SVN to git
- GitHub: Code comments start to matter more when they’re public 🙂
- GitHub Flow
- How GitHub Uses GitHub to Build GitHub
- conflict between Open Source vs Proprietary features
- How do you do Continuous Integration with GitHub?
- Sean: git submodules, or How to use github to API documentation
- Ben: Dropbox feature: Packrat and Events feed
This week it’s just Ben and I riffing in the new CityMaps HQ with our new recording equipment.
Then Ben and I kind of just BS for a while ‘cause it’s fun 🙂
Shamesless Name Drops
Extroverted Developer #6
This week we explore the world of graphics and web design with CityMaps own Megan Isaak. It’s late this week because we had some more audio issues during the recording and it took extra time to get it into its current state :-/
- We talk about the differences between graphics designers and web designers
- Career path for todays designers
- Working with designers and developers, what’s the ideal process?
- Where can I code? A Wiki map I setup in response to a NYC ruby mailing list asking this question.
- Megan: Have good passwords
- Megan: Google Webmaster Tools
- Jim: Google Docs
- Ben: Pentotype
Extroverted Developer #4 – Megan Isaak